About Mudgeeraba Cricket Club
Our Club History
In the early 1870’s a family by the name of ‘Andrews’ immigrated from Northern Ireland to Australia and settled on the south coast of Queensland at Mudgeeraba. The brothers Samuel, Isaac and William farmed land for a long time belonging to Mr Fredericks. Isaac Andrews was a very keen cricketer and together with William soon established a cricket team along with a number of other locals, including a few timber getters, John and James McIntyre. Also believed to be in the team were names such as Herbert, Duncan, at least one Veivers, a very young Stephen Berrigan and an aboriginal who had a very accurate arm.
The first known cricket and sports ground was across the swamp from the old sawmill and to the north-east of where the original Lavers Hotel stood. The original wicket was a rolled ant bed wicket.
As the years passed, the district brought more settlers and together with the natural population increase more cricketers joined the club.
In 1910 the playing venue was moved to the Andrews’ Somerset property after the transfer of the hotel to the present Wallaby Hotel site. The pitch was constructed of concrete in the Andrews paddock near a very large Moreton Bay Fig Tree and cricket was played here for a good number of years. Players around this time were some of Isaac’s sons, namely Stanley, William, Rankin and later the well known Arthur (Rusty).
Around 1930 when Sunday Cricket became the norm, the club had to find a new ground as the Andrews family did not want Sunday cricket at all in those days. The wicket was moved to Mr Geoff Rudd’s property, what was known as “Rudd’s Flat”, below the memorial hall. The cricket ground remained there until the early 1950’s.
The Merrimac cricket club folded in 1933 and a number of players joined the Mudgereeba team, which enabled the Mudgereeba club to field two teams. The second division team won the premiership in 1935 & 1936. The A grade team reached the grand final on a number of occasions, however were unsuccessful until 1939.
The outbreak of the second world war put a stop to competition cricket being played until the war ended, however a few social matches were played amongst those who wanted a game. The Nerang Shire Cricket Association was eventually reformed and every team in the competition joined the Southport District Cricket Association – which is now known as the Gold Coast & District Cricket Association.
In the early 1950’s the home ground was transferred to “Talgai” the Veivers property that had been the Merrimac home ground. The late Harold Veivers and his family became enthusiastic players and supporters of the club. In fact, the Veivers family became (and still should be regarded as) the backbone of the club for their efforts on and off the field.
The Veivers property was the home ground of the club until the 1960’s. After that the Broadbeach Oval, Carrara Stadium and the TSS ovals were also used as home grounds. It wasn’t until the new grounds and clubhouse at Nielsens Rd that we had a permanent home.
During the offseason of 1987-88, the club made the decision to amalgamate with OSA cricketers which enabled us to obtain the grounds and turf wickets at TSS. Many fine cricketers from TSS played with our club during this time.
Mudgeeraba Nerang & Districts' Cricket Club welcomes new players and members. Contact us today for more information.